Friday, April 16, 2010

The Heart's Way

Quick post as I am, again and as usual, on the run. Just finished The Heart is A Lonely Hunter, finally, by Carson McCullers and loved it. I have been slightly haunted by the title as it is an extremely aptly named book. That the heart really is a lonely hunter, that much I can wrap my mind around, it's the context in which this idea is used to describe her characters that is very poignant to me. The characters are ideologists (although aren't we all?). But it is the pursuit of a life lived up to the ideals of one's personal ideologies which is, or can be, a lonely pursuit for the heart. I highly reccomend this book!.
Anyway, I then proceeded to lighten up my reading regimen by reading Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline. I always liked her last name and finally just picked it up and couldn't put it down. It's a thriller having to do with a female lawyer and the Mob, set in South Philly and definitely not my regular kind of book, but one I have really been enjoying .
Store wise, not that ANYONE is actually reading my blog (sniff, sniff), I did get in a bunch of current ( within the last 5 or 6 years) fiction, and there have been organizational elves in the store, making sure sections are easily accessible as well as clean and dust free!
So come on by or leave a comment so I don't feel, as I do every six months or so, that I am absolutely typing into a void.
Thanks and have an awesome 80 degree, Memphis weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I normally don't comment on random blogs, but since you expressed concern that your blog is going unread, I decided that a kind comment might promote further blogging. It is always a bit disheartening to see someone blog with gusto for several years, only to see the posts abruptly stop and the blog's life cut short.

I discovered your blog/store via a post on CL. And, granted, I haven't been in to peruse your selection (as I live in Little Rock) I am encouraged by what you have accomplished over the past few years. Good used book stores are hard to come by, and just by examining previous posts, yours appears to fall into the good category. Best of luck.

Should I make it to Memphis in the near future, I will be sure to stop by and, most likely, drop way too much cash.