Friday, September 12, 2008

*Be * Here * Now*

"Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind." Ecclesiastes 4:6



My new favorite quote. I had no idea such a philosophy was endorsed by God! Someone asked me the other day what my favorite book in the store was. I wanted to claim something lofty, by Jane Austin or Herman Melville, Geothe perhaps, but I had to be honest - it is The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Yes, Oprah's new pet, but that book changed my life. I loved it, especially when he talked about how the idea of living in the present moment and placing a large part of one's focus on the here and now is espoused in all the major religions, Christianity included. Then I found this quote and saw what he meant. What does this have to do with the books in the store, the ones resting quietly in their respective, if temporary, homes? Well, not a lot. However, my previous post, and I guess this one as well, included, I made mention of a couple of books with pointing out the fact that these books are here, in the store, in the present moment, for sale. For example:



*** I have a beautiful copy of Moby Dick by Herman Melville (2004) in very fine (meaning excellent) condition. It is a Collector's Edition, bound in genuine leather, published by The Eaton Press in Norwalk, Connecticut. This copy contains an introduction by Clifton Fadiman and is illustrated by Boardman Robinson. Moby Dick is called one of the "100 Greatest Books Ever Written" on the front page and Eaton Press has written a Publisher's Preface which states that the introduction by Clifton Fadiman is "One of the best pieces of writing about a book ever created by an American critic..". Eaton Press goes on to say that "This edition represents both the luxury that Melville himself never knew and the permanence of his literary art." It is gilded in gold and looks brand new. It is just $30.



*** I have Blonde and You Must Remember This by Joyce Carol Oates, who was referenced in the preceding entry. It dawned on me that I talked about her and her work, without mentioning that they are on my shelves, awaiting adoption. Blonde is a first edition harback, copyrighted in 2000 and is in great condition. It is $6. You Must Remember This is also a hardback and is in really good condition, copyrighted in 1987 and is just $5. If you don't know a lot about Joyce Carol Oates, she is intense. It is hard to put down one of her books without finishing it.



***Do I have Jane Austin, yes I do. I have a copy of Persuasion, however , if you want to see it, you will have to let me know as I set it aside for my own reading pleasure and as of this writing, I cannot find it. Geothe is here as well, and of course, the 11,000 other books I was going to list in this bolgular entry, but opted to stretch out over a few more entries. Take care, ya'll (or You, as I am pretty sure there is, maybe, only only other person who reads this) and have a great Copper-Young Festival Weekend!

5 comments:

Billthebookguy said...

Good show, kid, keep blogging and I'll keep reading. and if you ever get really, really, bored, you can read my blog. But you'll have to ask for a link, I don't foist such tripe off without warning.

A book you should look up for sheer, unadulterated fun, is The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. If you ever wanted to lose yourself in a book, you'll find out what it's like.

Bill

Unknown said...

Thanks, Bill! I finally found the one person out there reading this blog! Send me your blog, I will put it on the billboard out in front of the store! Thanks for leaving a comment, I feel less alooooone in cyyyyber spaaaaace!
Have a great one!

dave said...

hey! glad you got up and started blogging again - i got you added to my list of links/stuff to watch, etc. i was still thinking of coming by and taking some pictures, doing a write up, all that good stuff. i've been working 40 hrs a week again which after quetzal was quite a jarring transition so i haven't been doing much writing or anything but i was thinking about dropping in thursday sometime. see you then...?

Unknown said...

Sounds good- I close at six, now, though. I suppose I should change that in my profile!

zippernek said...

Reader. Lurker. Tripe Foister.

Bookknurd