Friday, September 19, 2008

The Store is Three Months Old!! Can you believe it?!?!

Well, the store has had it's fair share of ups and downs, but has proudly and successfully made it to Three Months Old!! Can it walk on its own, well, no, not quite yet. I still work my other full time job at Carriage Tours of Memphis (http://www.carriagetoursofmemphis.com/) as a carriage driver. Feel free to get in touch with Chrissy, the owner, to set up a reservation for a tour (with me, of course) around our beautiful downtown*. But from where the store began, it has come a long way. I am still short a middle row of bookshelves and I shamelessly ask for them whenever I can, this being one of those times. I have about 4,000 books still in boxes because I basically got ripped off my middle row of shelves (long story). Hopefully after the first of the year, I will have some shelves erected. Until then, if you see any on the side of the road or at a garage sale or any other place on the planet, please let me know. I will carry said shelves on my back, if need be.
Other than that, she's doing well. The utility bill is doable, the leaks in the roof are effectively sealed (if only for now) and the credit card machine is up and running. I am proud of her and people like her, they really do! Apparently I wasn't foolin when I wrote in my business plan that this area needed a used bookstore, because I am hearing and seeing a lot of gratitude from people just for being open! Someone flat out said," Thank you for being here." I love having a used bookstore and although as a one-woman operation, it is a lot of work, I absolutely love it. I get to meet and hang out with the Best People! If you haven't been by, please stop in sometime. Have a loverly weekend, ya'll and remember, in my humble opinion, if you make time to do more reading, the rewards far outweigh the time you invest!

*The tour is $45 for a half hour, $75 for an hour and can begin and end pretty much wherever you want. We go through one of the oldest parks in the country as well as one that overlooks the river so you can see Mud Island and The Pyramid. You can grab a drink and bring it with you and I have yet to have a ride from Memphis where people did not learn something about this city they thought they knew so well!! If you've never done it, you've got to try it!

No comments: