Monday, September 29, 2008

Local Artist Martha Kelly Now Showing at The English Major Bookstore

Alrighty, well, I have pictures of the store, but you can't see them!! Ha Ha! They are really cool looking, too, but my computer told me to do a, b and then c in order to make them visible to anyone but me, which I did, and then, lo and behold, it didn't hold up it's end of the agreement. (I'm sure it's the first time a computer has done this, too!). I will figure this out, somehow, someway. I should say that what will actually happen is I will ask someone else to figure this out for me!

Anyway, my little store has undergone some big changes recently. She had pictures of her taken, a counter installed up front, art hung, and a wall of books created. I have already mentioned ( ranted about?) the pictures, however, the counter was my engineering brainchild, which is a rare type of brainchild for me to have, but this one really worked. It is starting to feel like a Real bookstore! I am saving the best for last, but I wanted to explain my wall of books. I have blocked off, or I should say my bookstore lickspittle has, the back quarter of the store with bookcases, thereby creating room for storage, so the 900 or so boxes of books laying everywhere now have a place to go and be unseen until such time as they are necessary. Also, several previously boxed books will be on these shelves. What remains boxed can be organized in the back "room" and I am very excited to have a place to do that!

Not as excited about what's on my walls, though!! Last Friday, Martha Kelly, a professional local artist, hung thirteen of her pictures on my walls and I am soooooo glad that she has. They are absolutely gorgeous, as I am sure you will agree when you see them. Many have a Greek theme to them, as they are of her time in Athens, but several are landscapes of local spots. Martha shows at Perry Nicole Gallery (http://www.perrynicole.com/) and has a show of her of newer work starting there on November 7. To see a sample her work, go to freewebs.com/marthakelly or, of course, you could come in the store. Not today, though, as it is Monday and the store isn't open. Should you absolutely have to see them, feel free to call and we can work something out. Tomorrow, the store will be humming and buzzing, as it does six days a week. On that note, I am going back to my day off.
But not without a couple of quotes first!

Paradoxically though it may seem,
it is none the less true,
that life imitates art
far more
than art imitates life.

-Oscar Wilde

Life grants nothing
to us mortals
without hard work.

-Horace

As an adendum, there is a beautiful piano being given away on craigslist. Go to: http://memphis.craigslist.org/zip/858808742.html to see it. It looked too amazing to not mention!

No comments: