Saturday, October 4, 2008

I Love Ya'll!!

After my last blog entry, everything else seems like a step down. Everyone told me I had to have pictures of my store , that I just had to have them, and while I am glad to have them and to have posted them, they kind of set the bar pretty high for forthcoming blogs. Y'now, this is my first blog and as such, I don't really know all the unspoken rules of blogging so, for now, I can kind of make up my own. Plus, I don't really think very many people are reading this as no one ever comments and yet I know one or two people are, in fact, reading my bahlog. Having said all that, I don't have much to blahblahblog about, so I thought I might mention some books.

The English Major is opened on Sundays, remember! Before the books, though, I did want to mention that the store has been open just three and a half months and is, therefore, not quite a Fortune 500 company yet. In spite of that highly odd fact, I wanted my customers to know that ya'll are everything I thought you would be. I am enjoying the store and my role in it so much. When this whole thing began, almost a year ago, I had an idea in my head what it would be like to own a used bookstore. It has far surpassed what I thought it might be like - it is awesome! Talking to people who love to read and who read such a variety of things is such a blessing, for lack of a better word. It is awesome. Thanks, everyone, for including me in your literary endeavors!!


Some wonderful books I have:

*Pride's Lions by Morgan Llywelyn ( @ 1996, First Edition, $5)

*Killing Time in Buffalo by Edgar Award -winning Author Deidre S. Laiken. This book is " a story of suspense and the search for self that sets an increasingly mysterious and menacing series of events against the hazy, hypnotic background of America in 1967 - an era when the scent of marijuana smoke pervaded the air and life seemed at once innocent and suddenly strange." (from the front flap) Hmmmm, sounds intriguing. This is also a first edition, @ 1990 and is a whopping $5.

*I have this wonderful book about Isadora Duncan called Isadora Duncan and Her World (@ 1993, first edition) This book is 192 pages with eight pages of color prints in the back. The book is split into three categories Lyrical (1877-1903), Dramatic(1903-1913) and Heroic (1913-1927)and has tons of black and white photographs of her in her life. About Isador from the forward: "Isadora was a wild voluptuary, a true revolutionary. She flouted every tradition. She was the law-giver Mosaic in her endeavor. She tried to enforce a new code of human behavior and was out-spoken as few people have ever been. She alone and unhelped changed the direction of her entire art.... But for on foot of film exists of this great dancing, of our greatest original, and the pictures in this book - many never before made public - are therefore important." -From the foreword by Agnes de Mille.It is a beautiful book and is just $20.



Life is the root, Art is the flower.
-Isadora Duncan

2 comments:

Michael Roy Hollihan said...

I like this kind of post, telling us what's new in the store, and books we might not otherwise pick up.

Unknown said...

I like writing these kinds of posts!! More to come! Thanks for the comment!